DAVID JEREMIAH: 7 Ways To Study The Bible Effectively
(1) READ IT – Find time every day to read the Bible. Build this into your routine each morning, Pray as you read, asking God for insight.
(2) LOOK FOR A NEW VERSE EACH DAY – As you read, ask God for a special verse to meet that day’s need. Read until you arrive at that verse, and then write down and carry it with you. You’ll discover new strength!
(3) STUDY BOOK-TO-VERSE-TO-WORD – One of the best methods of Bible study is book-to-verse-to-word, some times called inductive Bible study. Choose the book you want to study, then read through the book introduction and the Bible text several times for a sweep of its contents. Then read all you can about the background of that book. Next…
(4) LOOK FOR THE OUTLINE OR THEME OF THE BOOK – After that, you’re ready to study chapter by chapter. Read through each chapter, making notes, underlining verses, and looking for key thoughts. When you have a good idea of what each chapter says, study the individual verses themselves, down to the various words that are used. Then…
(5) READ THE BIBLE WITH PEN IN HAND – Underline, circle, and draw lines from verse to verse. Thoroughly read (A good study Bible – like the Jeremiah Study Bible) notes and their cross references. Scribble comments and insights in the margins, and post dates besides verses that God gives you on particular days. Someone once said, “A well-marked Bible means a well-fed soul.” You can also use a journal to analyze sentences, paraphrase verses, and condense passages, list points, and record observations.
(6) MEMORIZE SCRIPTURE AND MEDITATE ON IT – Memorized Scripture is the fodder for meditation, and meditating on God’s Word opens the door of our hearts to the real riches of Scripture. When we memorize God’s Word, we can think about it all the time, mulling it over as we eat breakfast, as we drive to work, as we fall asleep at night. We digest its meaning, and it becomes part of us.
(7) JOIN A BIBLE STUDY GROUP – One of the most exciting developments in many churches has been the proliferation of Bible study groups. Find a good group and sign up. The right small group can make a big difference in your appreciation of Scripture.
SOURCE: *Adapted from “Ways To Study The Bible Effectively” in The Jeremiah Study Bible. Worthy Media, 2013. xv.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Dr. David Jeremiah is the senior pastor of Shadow Mountain Community Church in El Cajon, California, and chancellor of San Diego Christian College. He is also the founder of Turning Point, a ministry committed to providing sound Bible teaching through national radio and television broadcasting. Dr. Jeremiah has authored numerous books, including the best-selling “Captured by Grace,” “Life Wide Open,” “My Heart’s Desire,” and “Sanctuary.”
I am the Lead Pastor of Valley Baptist Church (Bay Area), born and raised in Huntington Beach, Ca,, and currently living in Novato, California. I am married to my best friend of 28 years - Dana - and have five adult children; and seven grand children. I have been a Teaching Pastor for over thirty years. I was privileged to study at Multnomah University (B.S. - 1988); Talbot School of Theology (M.Div. - 1991); Westminster Theological Seminary & Northwest Graduate School (D. Min. - 2003). I founded Vertical Living Ministries in 2008 with the goal of encouraging Christian Disciples and Leaders to be more intentionally Christ-Centered in how they live by bringing glory to God in nine key areas of life: (1) Intimacy with God, (2) marriage, (3) family, (4) friendship, (5) vocationally/ministry , (6) emotional and physical health, (7) stewardship, (8) discipleship, and (9) mentoring.
View all posts by lifecoach4God