((Adapted from Leroy Eims, The Lost Art of Disciple Making, pp. 184-186)
Profile of a Convert:
- Gives evidence of possessing new life (2 Cor. 5:17)
- Attitude toward Christ is now favorable.
- Attitude toward sin is unfavorable.
Profile of a Growing Disciple:
- As a follower of Jesus Christ, places Christ first in the major areas of life and is taking steps to separate from sin (Luke 9:23; Romans 12:1-2).
- Continues in the Word through such means as Bible study and Scripture memory; is regular in applying the Word to life with the help of the Holy Spirit (John 8:31; James 1:22-25; Psalm 119:59).
- Maintains a consistent devotional life and is growing in faith and intercessory prayer (Mark 1:35; Hebrews 11:6; Colossians 4:2-4).
- Attends church regularly and demonstrates Christ’s love by identifying with and serving other believers (Psalm 122:1; Heb. 10:25; John 13:34-35; 1 John 4:20-21; Galatians 5:13).
- Is openly identified with Jesus Christ where he or she lives and works, manifests a heart for witnessing, gives testimony clearly, and presents the gospel regularly with increasing effectiveness (Matt. 5:16; Col. 4:6; 1 Peter 3:15).
- A learner who is open and teachable (Acts 17:11).
- A visible follower and learner of Jesus Christ, and demonstrates consistency and faithfulness in all of the above areas (Luke 16:10).
Profile of a Worker
- Evidences growth in the virtues and skills outlined above (1 Peter 3:18).
- Shows a growing compassion for the lost and demonstrates ability to lead others into a personal relationship with Christ (Matt. 9:36-38; Rom. 1:6).
- Being used of God to establish believers who have become disciples, either personally or in a discipling group context (Col. 1:28-29).
- Is currently engaged in the task of making disciples (Matt. 28:19).
- Regular intake of the Word by all means and the quiet time are now regular habits (Philippians 4:9).
Profile of a Leader
- Is an equipped worker who evidences growth in the virtues and skills listed above.
- Has been used of God to help disciples become workers.
- Is banding and leading workers in evangelizing the lost and establishing believers.
- Displays faithfulness and integrity in balancing life and ministry.
Time Element: Convert to disciple – 2 years; Disciple to worker – 2 years; Worker to leader – 3 years.