By Dr. David P. Craig
- For rediscovering the gospel in his diligent study of the Scriptures – The doctrines which led to the sola’s of the reformation – Sola Scriptura, Sola Fide, Sola Gratia, Solus Christus and Soli Deo Gloria.
- For showing biblically and modeling that marriage is good for the clergy. He and Katherine Von Bora modeled a loving marriage and where models of hospitality, personal evangelism, and discipleship in the home and in the church.
- For bringing congregational singing back into the church. Music was relegated to the professionals; he brought the entire congregation to participate in the worship service through singing and making music before the Lord – thus like the apostle Paul in Romans 11:33-36 modeling that good theology always leads to doxology.
- He made it possible for the congregation to not only participate in the Lord’s supper by eating of the bread; but also adding that all members of the congregation could drink of the cup (in RC only the priest could drink of the cup).
- Through his Small Catechism – Luther was arguably one of the first pastors to disciple children in the church (for years children were to be “seen and not heard”). He knew innately that the reformation would be finished if it were not for passing the baton to the next generations.
- I am inspired by his work ethic. He was tireless in preaching, writing, counseling, training, and getting the truths of the Bible out to every man, woman, and child in Germany and beyond for the glory of God.
- Though, Wycliffe had preceded him in translating the Bible into English; the advent of the printing press kicked his German translation of the Bible into high gear. The Bible in the language of the people was for the first time in history made affordable and readable for the common people – so they could read and interpret the Bible for themselves.
- I am grateful for Luther’s courage, faithfulness, and tireless efforts to fight for truth as revealed authoritatively and sufficiently in the Scriptures (despite great losses, cost and personal suffering). He will definitely be one of the first people I will look for, hug and thank when I get to Heaven!